TOWN OF CRANE LAKE
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS’ MEETING
April 13, 2021
The April 13, 2021 Board of Supervisors’ Meeting was called to order by Chairman Jerry Pohlman at 5:30PM at the Crane Lake Chapel Fellowship Hall with the Pledge of Allegiance recited by those in attendance including Guest VNP Superintendent Bob DeGross; Supervisors Jim Janssen, Kara Knutson & Jerry Pohlman; Treasurer Traci Bak; Clerk Jo Ann Pohlman; and 3 members of the community.
Additions to the Agenda: – There were none.
Minutes – A motion was made by Kara, supported by Jim, to approve the minutes of the 3/9/21 Board of Supervisors’ Meeting. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
Treasurer’s Report –The March Cash Balances were read and the bills were presented as follows: Costin Group – $1,250.00; Lake Country Power – $146.56; IRS – $609.64; St. Louis County Auditor – $205.00 & $1,710.17; Lutefisk Tech. – $272.40; Jeff Sanborn – $50.00; CLVTB – $2,716.51 and Payroll $675.07. A motion was made by Jerry, supported by Kara, to approve the Treasurer’s Report as read and the payment of bills. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
The Clerk presented the correspondence. The correspondence was received and will be placed on file and acted upon as required.
Committee Report: The Committee presented a list of action items to the Board at the March meeting with the actions and progress reported by the Board at this meeting in italics as follows:
- The Town contact S.E.H. Engineering Firm requesting a contract with estimates to act as project manager for the Visitor Center/Campground project and asking for a Scope of Work. A motion was made by Kara, supported by Jerry, to ask S.E.H. to be the Visitor Center/Campground project manager and to provide a Scope of Work. All voted in favor and the motion carried. A letter was sent to S.E.H. Jason Chopp is working on the Agreement and the Scope of Work which will be completed after the selection of an Architect. Jason met with Deena Congdon & Mark Anderson onsite last week for an initial review of the property. He recommends a meeting with the Committee to discuss project specifics.
- The Town contact Kristen Scott, homeowner, and hire an appraiser should she wish to go forward with selling her home and property to the Town. A motion was made by Jerry, supported by Kara, to write a letter to Kristen asking if she is still interested in selling her property and would she agree to an appraisal. All voted in favor and the motion carried. The Board and those present discussed appraiser options. A letter was written to Kristen. Kristen responded that she is interested with the same price and conditions as before – $325,000 and 10% down non-refundable for the Township to purchase by December 31, 2021. She is also agreeable to an appraisal. A motion was made by Kara, supported by Jim, to contract with Kollender Appraisals to appraise Kristen’s property. All voted in favor and the motion carried. The fee would be $650. A date will need to be selected for the appraisal.
- The Town hire Ehlers or a similar company as financial advisor for Crane Lake. A motion was made by Kara, supported by Jerry, to hire Ehlers as the financial advisor to the Town for the Visitor Center/Campgrounds project. All voted in favor and the motion carried. A letter was sent to Ehlers requesting their services. They responded saying they were willing to provide that service to the Township.
- The Town select a legal firm for representation for the adoption of partnerships process for the Visitor Center. Options were discussed. MN Assoc. of Townships was contacted for a recommendation. They recommended the current Township attorney, Mr. Ruppe. Jerry will contact him to see if his firm is interested in the work.
- The Town consider forming a new committee to explore the construction of an ATV Trailhead. A new committee will not be formed at this time. Bruce Beste asked that Gary Cerkvenik be contacted regarding funding for a Trailhead.
Town of Crane Lake Meeting Minutes – April 13, 2021
VNP-Visitor Center/Campsite: Committee Report (Cont.)
- The Town send a letter to VNP Superintendent Bob DeGross asking for the written agreements between the Park and the Town regarding the Visitor Center. Bob was present and handed out a draft general NPS agreement between the NPS and the Township. He also handed out a list of ideas related to the development and operation of the proposed visitor center. These will be good working documents for the Committee going forward. Bob will email copies to be forwarded to all Committee Members.
- The Town approve Mark Anderson as representative and point of contact for the DNR with plans for development of the boat ramp on the DNR property. A motion was made by Kara, supported by Jerry, to appoint Mark Anderson as the Town representative to communicate with the DNR regarding the development of the boat ramp on the DNR property. A voted in favor and the motion carried. Mark will report when information becomes available.
- The Town pass a resolution (as requested by the Costin Group) to prepare for grant assistance with the IRRRB. A motion was made by Kara, supported by Jerry, to advise the Costin Group to proceed with requesting grant assistance from the IRRRB. All voted in favor and the motion carried. A resolution was sent to the Township to approve. A motion was made by Jerry, supported by Jim, to adopt Resolution #2021-02 Authorizing its Representatives to Prepare a Capital Bonding Application to the State of Minnesota for General Obligation Bonding Grants. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
- The Town submit to the Committee a written list of priorities to be included in the design of the Visitor Center. The Town will work with the Committee on the priorities list. The Board and Committee will work on this.
An Agreement was received from St. Louis County for fiscal assistance relating to the LCCMR. A motion was made by Jim, supported by Kara, to approve Agreement #5688D for Fiscal Services between Crane Lake Township’s 2020 and 2021 LCCMR Grants and St. Louis County Auditor’s Department effective June 30, 2021. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
Grounds Clean-up: There was no report.
Docks: There was no report.
ATV Report: Bruce advised those present that the next ATV meeting is scheduled for Wed., April 14th at 6:30PM at The Dam. The DNR advised of trail closings. A contract has been signed with St. Louis County to get projects out to bid. Grant applications are moving forward. Funding has been requested from the IRRRB to complete trails.
Trails Report: There was no report. The Committee members will be contacted asking someone to step forward to replace Deena Congdon as the Committee Chair.
Land Use Project: The Land Use Project Committee, will research survey options. Bruce Beste will communicate with Kara on a possible purchase of a large portion of the property by one buyer. The Budget Committee will review notes on making a principal payment on the land project loan.
Scott’s Seaplane Base: There was no report
Neighborhood Watch Report: There was nothing new.
CLVTB Letter of Support: A motion was made by Jim, supported by Kara, to provide a letter of support to the IRRRB for the CLVTB to apply for IRRRB grant funds to offset costs of a new promotional program to market the Crane Lake area. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
Early Tax Distribution: The Board declined requesting an early tax distribution.
Liquor License Renewals: A motion was made by Jim, supported by Jerry, to grant Pine Point’s request for renewal of their On/Off-Sale 3.2% Malt Liquor License for 2021. All voted in favor and the motion carried. A motion was made by Kara, supported by Jim, to grant Nelson’s Resort’s request for renewal of their Combination On/Off-Sale & Sunday On-Sale Liquor License. Jim and Kara voted in favor, Jerry abstained, and the motion carried.
Tobacco License Renewals: There were none.
Town of Crane Lake Meeting Minutes – April 13, 2021
Deputy-Clerk: Gretchen Janssen was selected to be the Deputy-Clerk and will be handling the LCCMR invoice submissions for reimbursement through St. Louis County.
Broadband: The Township will be addressing broadband in the Crane Lake area. Mark Anderson will invite a Hibbing firm to attend the May meeting to begin the process. Funding options will be addressed later.
Other New Business: There was none.
Comments from Officers: There were none.
Public Comments: There were none.
Next Meeting: Board of Appeal & Equalization Meeting – April 29, 2021, 1PM, Fellowship Hall
Board of Supervisors’ Meeting – May 11, 2021 – 7:30PM, Fellowship Hall
There being no further business, the meeting was adjourned at 6:20PM
Jo Ann Pohlman, Clerk Jerry Pohlman, Chairman
This draft of the Crane Lake Township minutes has been posted solely for preliminary informational purposes. Minutes are unofficial and subject to change until they have been approved by the Crane Lake Board of Supervisors.