May 11, 2004: Minutes
TOWN OF CRANE LAKE
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS ‘ MEETING
May 11, 2004
The May 11, 2004 Board of Supervisors’ Meeting was called to order by Chairman Mark Anderson at 7:35PM at the Crane Lake Chapel Fellowship Hall with the Pledge of Allegiance recited by those in attendance including: Supervisors Mark Anderson, Jerry Pohlman and Jim Janssen, Treasurer Jacque Eggen, Clerk Jo Ann Pohlman, and 15 members of the community.
Additions to the Agenda: None
Minutes – A motion was made by Jerry, supported by Jim to approve the minutes of the 4/13/2004 Board of Supervisors’ Meeting and the 4/21/04 Board of Appeal and Equalization Meeting. Motion carried.
Treasurer’s Report – Jacque read the Treasurer’s Report. Jacque then presented the bills as follows: Voyageur Sentinel – $54.00; Robert Scott – $163.52; CLVTB – $533.80; and Payroll – $381.39. A motion was made by Jim, supported by Jerry, to approve the Treasurer’s Report as read and the payment of bills. Motion carried.
The Clerk presented the correspondence. The correspondence was received as read and will be placed on file and acted upon as required.
Help American Vote Act (HAVA): Clerk Jo Ann reported that the grant application in the amount of $143.82 for HAVA funds was mailed on April 24, 2004. A response was received from the Secretary of State Office on April 26, 2004 stating a letter will be sent in June informing the Township of the application status.
Community Priority Projects Reports:
- Trails/Beautification – Chairman Mark had nothing to report.
- Communications/Cell Phones – No Report.
- Land Exchange/Community Property Project – Ruth L. Carlson reported that she met with two members of the Landscape Changing Program of the University of Minnesota who will help with the design of the project. They hope to be here for about four days in June to get an overview of the area. A grant has been approved by the Northeast Minnesota Sustainable Development Partnership for $20,000. Ruth is currently working on a grant from the USFS for $5,000. Since trails are such an intricate part of the Crane Lake area, the Forest Service is interested in an extensive trail system; which would cost about $20,000. Ruth is currently working on securing that amount.
Communications/Cell Phone/Broadband – Chair Appointment: Dee Kuder declined the appointment of Chair of this Project. A motion was made by Mark, supported by Jerry, to appoint Jim the Chair of the Communications/Cell Phone/Broadband Project. Motion carried. Committee members will be chosen at a later date.
Re-Zoning of Town Properties – Committee Appointment: Butch Eggen was asked to serve on this committee. Butch accepted the appointment and will ask Darrell Scott to serve also. He requested that the Board consider an additional member.
Tobacco License Renewal Resolution – Nelson’s Resort: A motion was made by Jim, supported by Mark, to adopt Resolution No. 2004-02 to approve the issuance of a tobacco products license for Nelson’s Resort for the year ending the 31st day of December 2004. Jim and Mark voted in favor; Jerry abstained. Motion carried.
Liquor License Renewals:
- A motion was made by Jim, supported by Jerry to grant Handberg Marine’s request for renewal of 2004-2005 3.2 Percent Malt Liquor License and G.W. Resorts, Inc. d/b/a Borderland Lodge and Outfitters request for renewal of 2004-2005 Combination On/Off-Sale and Sunday On-Sale Intoxicating Liquor Licenses. Motion carried.
Bear Island Issue
- Warren Bradbury and Bill Traff presented their views on the Bear Island Issue.
- Doug Marshall, representing approximately 27 property owners on the island, presented their views on the Bear Island Issue.
- Chairman Mark thanked Mr. Traff, Mr. Bradbury and Mr. Marshall for their presentations and stated that the Township attorney had been contacted and no response would be made until the Board had been advised by legal council.
Public Comments: Comments from the public included discussion about the road adjacent to the Traff property and concern about attorney expenses for the Town.
Comments from Officers. There were none.
Next Meeting: Board of Supervisors’ Meeting, June 8, 2004 at 7:30PM at the Crane Lake Chapel Fellowship Hall.
There being no further business the meeting was adjourned by Chairman Mark at 8:08PM.
Jo Ann Pohlman, Clerk Mark Anderson, Chairman