January 9, 2007: Minutes
TOWN OF CRANE LAKE
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS’ MEETING
January 9, 2007
The January 9, 2007 Board of Supervisors’ Meeting was called to order by Chairman Jerry Pohlman at 7:35PM at the Crane Lake Chapel Fellowship Hall with the Pledge of Allegiance recited by those in attendance including: Supervisors Butch Eggen, Jim Janssen and Jerry Pohlman, Clerk Jo Ann Pohlman, a reporter from the Voyageur Sentinel, and 2 members of the community. Treasurer Terrie Hoff was absent.
Additions to the Agenda: None.
Minutes – A motion was made by Jim, supported by Butch, to approve the minutes of the 12/12/06 Supervisors’ Meeting. Butch, Jim, and Jerry voted in favor and the motion carried.
Treasurer’s Report – Clerk Jo Ann read the December Cash Balances in Terrie’s absence and presented the bills as follows: St. Louis County Auditor – $85.12; Lutefisk Tech. – $240.00 & $360.00; CLVTB – $444.77; Postmaster – $37.00; IRS – $973.86; Minnesota Revenue – $104.49; Kenneth D. Butler – $160.00; St. Louis County Assoc. of Twps. – $360.30; and Payroll 419.79. A motion was made by Butch, supported by Jim, to approve the Treasurer’s Report as read and the payment of bills. Butch, Jim, and Jerry voted in favor and the motion carried. Jo Ann presented a fund transfer request to the Supervisors. A motion was made by Jim, supported by Butch, to approve fund transfers as follows: $3,146.36 from the Fire Fund to the General Fund; $8,500.00 from the Trails/Beautification Fund to the Community Property Project Fund; and $2,033.72 from the Cell Phone Fund to the General Fund. Butch, Jim and Jerry voted in favor and the motion carried.
The Clerk presented the correspondence. The correspondence was received as read and will be placed on file and acted upon as required.
Community Priority Projects Reports:
- Land Exchange/Community Property Project – Ruth L. Carlson provided a written report which was read in her absence. Ruth’s report was optimistic. There was a difference of opinion among the attorneys about a Certificate of Indebtedness for the land purchase being paid back in five years. It is possible to appeal to the state legislature to grant the Town a one time opportunity to borrow in a more realistic manner extending the pay back beyond five years. Ruth recommended the following motions be made by the Town Board of Supervisors, which was done.
o A motion was made by Jerry, supported by Jim, to adopt Resolution No. 2007-02 to support the request of special legislation to allow a Certificate of Indebtedness be extended beyond five years. Butch, Jim, and Jerry voted in favor and the motion carried.
o A motion was made by Butch, supported by Jim, to send written notice to our local state legislators asking for support and sponsorship of the special legislation. Butch, Jim, and Jerry voted in favor and the motion carried.
o A motion was made by Jim, supported by Butch, to contract with Gary Cerkvenik of the Costin Group, Inc., to co-ordinate the passage of the special legislation for a fee of $1,500.00. Butch, Jim, and Jerry voted in favor and the motion carried.
Community Action Plan Update Committee Report: Butch anticipates having the reported printed and mailed to the meeting attendees by the end of the month
Snake (Rollick) Creek Property: Butch presented a draft letter written to St. Louis County requesting a zoning change from Timber Zoning to Shoreline Management in the Rollick Creek area to the Board for review. The letter will be sent with minor changes along with a map of the area and a copy of the letter previously sent to affected property owners. A copy of the letter will be sent to the affected property owners.
Bear Island: The petition to open a cartway on Bear Island was sent to Couri, et al for consideration. Mr. Ruppe of Couri conferred with the MAT attorneys. They all concluded that the petition was not legal as the cartway would not be attached to a road. A motion was made by Jerry, supported by Butch to adopt Resolution No. 2007-03 denying petition to establish a cartway on Bear Island. Butch, Jim, and Jerry voted in favor and the motion carried.
Culvert: A letter was written to Chris Morris of the St. Louis County Public Works Dept. in October requesting a written description and/or drawings of the approved culvert design as well as the date set for the project to begin. Jo Ann spoke to Mr. Morris via the telephone on 1/8/07; Mr. Morris assured her a letter would arrive before the meeting. The letter was not received; Jo Ann will continue to pursue communications with Mr. Morris.
Town of Crane Lake Meeting Minutes – January 9, 2007
Tobacco License Renewal: A motion was made by Jim, supported by Butch, to adopt Resolution No. 2007-01 issuing a tobacco products license for Anderson Canoe Outfitters d/b/a Anderson Canoe Outfitters for the year ending the 31st day of December 2007. Butch, Jim, and Jerry voted in favor and the motion carried.
- A notice has been posted with information on the available positions for the Town Board to be determined at the March 13th elections. Jim Janssen has filed for the Supervisor position and Terrie Hoff has filed for the Treasurer position. Candidate filing will be open until 5PM on Tuesday, January 16, 2007.
- Absentee Ballots: The procedure for receiving absentee ballots is on the Township website under Current Topics. The address is www.cranelaketwp.com. The Crane Lake News in local papers will include a reminder also.
- Election Judges: Jo Ann presented the roster of those eligible for appointment to serve on the Election Board for the Annual Election to be held on March 13, 2007 to the Supervisors. A motion was made by Jim, supported by Butch, to appoint Charlotte Bystrom, Joan Olson and Shirley Sanborn as election judges for the March 13, 20007 Annual Election with Ginny Marshall as the alternate and Shirley Sanborn as the head judge. Butch, Jim, and Jerry voted in favor and the motion carried.
- The question of moving the Town Annual Election from March to November mainly for cost saving purposes was raised. The Board discussed the change. A motion was made by Butch, supported by Jim, to adopt Resolution No. 2007-04 Designating the First Tuesday after the First Monday in November as the Town General Election Date to be presented as a question to the Crane Lake electorate on the March 13, 2007 ballot. Butch, Jim, and Jerry voted in favor and the motion carried. A motion was made by Jim, supported by Butch, to send a letter to eligible voters in Crane Lake Township advising them of the advantages and disadvantages of the date change. Butch, Jim, and Jerry voted in favor and the motion carried.
Board of Audit Meeting Date & Time: A motion was made by Butch, supported by Jim, to set the Board of Audit Meeting date and time as February 13, 2007 at 7PM prior to the Board of Supervisors’ Meeting at the Fellowship Hall. Butch, Jim, and Jerry voted in favor and the motion carried.
March Board of Supervisors/Reorganization Meeting Date: A motion was made by Butch, supported by Jim, to set the March Board of Supervisors/Reorganization Meeting Date as March 20, 2007, 7:30PM at the Fellowship Hall. Butch, Jim, and Jerry voted in favor and the motion carried.
Budget Committee Meeting: The first Budget Committee Meeting was set for January 30, 2007 at 10AM at the home of the Clerk, 7476 Bayside Drive.
Other New Business – There was none.
Comments from Officers: There was none.
Michael White asked if the Board knew of any other local townships that were considering a date change to November for the March Annual elections. Jo Ann responded that Portage Township was considering it and there was much discussion at MAT conferences.
Next Meetings: Board of Audit Meeting, February 13, 2007, 7PM, Fellowship Hall
Board of Supervisors’ Meeting, February 13, 2007, 7:30PM, Fellowship Hall
There being no further business, the meeting was adjourned at 8:40PM.
Jo Ann Pohlman, Clerk Jerry Pohlman, Chairman
This draft of the Crane Lake Township minutes has been posted solely for preliminary informational purposes. Minutes are unofficial and subject to change until they have been approved by the Crane Lake Board of Supervisors.