December 11, 2012 Board of Supervisor Minutes
TOWN OF CRANE LAKE
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS’ MEETING
December 11, 2012
The December 11, 2012 Board of Supervisors’ Meeting was called to order by Chairman Jerry Pohlman at 7:30PM at the Crane Lake Chapel Fellowship Hall with the Pledge of Allegiance recited by those in attendance including: Supervisors Butch Eggen, Jim Janssen and Jerry Pohlman, Treasurer Terrie Hoff, Clerk Jo Ann Pohlman and 1 member of the community.
Additions to the Agenda: There were none.
Minutes – A motion was made by Butch, supported by Jim, to approve the minutes of the 11/13/2012 Board of Supervisors’ Meeting and the 11/13/12 Board of Canvass Meeting. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
Treasurer’s Report – Terrie read the November Cash Balances and presented the bills as follows: CNH – $51.00; MAT Agency – $207.00; CLWSD – $150.00; CL Chapel – $400.00; CLVFD – $25,000; and Payroll – $501.25. A motion was made by Jim, supported by Butch, to approve the Treasurer’s Report as read and the payment of bills. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
The Clerk presented the correspondence. The correspondence was received as read and will be placed on file and acted upon as required.
Land Exchange/Community Property Project: Ruth L. Carlson provided the following report: The latest report of the Exchange from the Forest Service is that it will be concluded in 2013. Hopefully this will be in the first quarter. Prior to the completion a few decisions will be required from the Town Board. The Fire Hall of the Crane Lake Volunteer Fire Department, the Telephone Building of Frontier Telephone Company and the road, power line and pipes of the Crane Lake Water and Sanitary District all are on property which will be owned by the Town of Crane Lake at the conclusion of the exchange. It is important to the Forest Service that these entities be given every consideration to continue this use of the land. Therefore the following recommendations are offered:
· Fire Hall – Adequate land to be sold to the Crane Lake Volunteer Fire Department for the sum of $1.00 for the continued use of fire protection as well as the necessary space for the buildings
· Crane Lake Water and Sanitary District – An easement be drawn up for continued use of the land for the purpose of a road, power line and sewage pipes, as needed. No dollar amount required.
· Frontier Telephone Company – Two choices for the Telephone land usage. (1) Initiate a lease agreement with the company to remain on the land used at the present time, or (2) sell the required land to the Frontier Telephone Company for its fair market value. An annual fee could be charged for the lease.
The Town’s Land Exchange Legal Advisor Mary Frances Skala could be contacted to assist in making knowledgeable decisions and drawing up the required legal documents. Thank you for your continued interest in the land exchange. I know the Supervisors will make all decisions for the good of our growing town.
A motion was made by Jim, supported by Jerry, authorizing Mary Frances Skala of Fryberber, Buchanan to begin drafting lease and easement work for the CLWSD and Lake Country Power, the sale to the CLVFD, and to provide an opinion on the two options for Frontier. Jim and Jerry voted in favor, Butch abstained and the motion carried.
CLWSD Report: Rob Scott provided a written report to the Board.
· The plant continues to work the challenges of low flows and loads during the winter months. An electronic reporting system has been installed.
· The CLWSD Board approved a 3% rate increase for 2013. The 2013 $80,000 tax levy remains as passed in September, which is a 10% reduction from the 2012 tax levy.
· The $30,000 USDA-RD grant request is complete and contracts have been signed for S.E.H. to start the preliminary engineering work for the Handberg Road expansion project.
· The final paperwork has been completed to commence the formal arbitration proceedings between the CLWSD and RLK. The judge and location to be determined.
· The CLWSD Board reviewed the inputs from our administrative consultant, financial advisor, and legal representative regarding the merger of the CLWSD with the Crane Lake Township. The process is under review.
· The Next JPB meeting is scheduled for December 19th.
Town of Crane Lake Board of Supervisors’ Meeting Minutes – December 11, 2012
Assessor Status Report: MN Department of Revenue is currently reviewing the status of Jan’s work. The report has moved from the commissioner’s office to another entity at Revenue and it is expected to be ‘a number of months’ before the report becomes public. There were no new reports received.
Jacque Eggen Memorial Fund: The Board reviewed some options and will be contacting an artisan for possible work.
CLWSD Board Appointments: A motion was made by Butch, supported by Jim, to adopt Resolution No. 2012-07 electing Robert Scott and Mark Anderson to the Board of Managers of the Crane Lake Water and Sanitary District for terms commencing January 1, 2013 and ending January 1, 2016. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
Tobacco License Renewals: A motion was made by Jerry, supported by Butch, to adopt Resolution No. 2012-06 approving the issuance of a tobacco products license to the Crane Lake Bar and Grill, LLC d/b/a Crane Lake Bar & Grill for the year ending the 31st day of December, 2013 and Resolution No. 2012-08 approving the issuance of a tobacco products license to VHB, Inc. d/b/a Voyagaire Lodge and Houseboats for the year ending the 31st day of December, 2013. Jerry and Butch voted in favor, Jim abstained and the motion carried.
Fire Protection Contract: A motion was made by Jim, supported by Butch, to sign the Crane Lake Volunteer Fire Department contract and forward to the Fire Chief for signature and return. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
Levy: The Board agreed that the levy should remain at $85,000 as set in September.
Other New Business: The Clerk will look into how long minutes must remain on the Township website.
Comments from Officers: Jerry thanked Ruth L. Carlson for all the work she has done for the past 10 years and continues to do on the Land Exchange.
PUBLIC COMMENTS – Ruth L. Carlson asked for clarification on the motion made by the Board regarding the Land Exchange. She also inquired as to how the CLWSD decides on where there next expansion will be.
Next Meeting: Board of Supervisors’ Meeting, January 8, 2013 – 7:30PM – Fellowship Hall
There being no further business, the meeting was adjourned at 8:10PM.
Jo Ann Pohlman, Clerk Jerry Pohlman, Chairman
This draft of the Crane Lake Township minutes has been posted solely for preliminary informational purposes. Minutes are unofficial and subject to change until they have been approved by the Crane Lake Board of Supervisors.