TOWN OF CRANE LAKE
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS’ MEETING
October 9, 2018
The October 9, 2018 Board of Supervisors’ Meeting was called to order by Chairman Jerry Pohlman at 7:35PM at the Crane Lake Chapel Fellowship Hall with the Pledge of Allegiance recited by those in attendance including: S.E.H representatives Jason Chopp, Shawn McMahon and Kaci Nowicki; Supervisors Butch Eggen, Jim Janssen and Jerry Pohlman; Treasurer Traci Bak; Clerk Jo Ann Pohlman; and 3 members of the community.
Additions to the Agenda: There were none.
Minutes – A motion was made by Jim, supported by Butch, to approve the minutes of the 9/11/18 Board of Supervisors’ Meeting. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
Treasurer’s Report –The September Cash Balances were read and the bills were presented as follows: Costin Group – $1,250.00; IRS – $453.24; Lake Country Power – $147.00; St. Louis County Auditor – $9,762.00; CLVTB – $21,722.59; and Payroll – $567.05. A motion was made by Butch, supported by Jim, to approve the Treasurer’s Report as read and the payment of bills. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
The Clerk presented the correspondence. The correspondence was received as read and will be placed on file and acted upon as required.
New Business – Scott’s Seaplane Base was moved forward on the Agenda. S.E.H. Airport Planner Kaci Nowicki was introduced to those present and provided the following information: A memo was provided to summarize information from recent meetings with St. Louis County and MnDOT Office of Aeronautics regarding the potential for Scott’s Seaplane Base to become a publicly owned facility. As a publicly owned facility, the airport would be eligible for state aeronautics funding for operations and maintenance expenses and capital and planning projects. The first step would be a Feasibility Study, which would allow potential airport sponsors and MnDOT to evaluate the need for and interest in a new publicly owned airport. The study would last about a year and would include scope items including inventory, activity forecasts, facility needs, an implementation plan, public involvement, in-person engagement and agency meetings. MnDOT indicated they support funding the study. A grant request would need to be submitted by a political subdivision of the state and would be funded by MnDOT at 95%. The remaining 5% would need to be funded locally – St. Louis County has indicated that it would commit to funding the local share, if the Township requested the grant. The estimated cost would be between $30,000 and $50,000. A motion was made by Butch, supported by Jim, to submit the grant request letter to MnDOT. All voted in favor and the motion carried. S.E.H. will provide a draft grant letter.
Costin Group Report: There was no report.
- Committee Report: A design workshop for the proposed visitor center and campground is planned for Friday, October 26th, beginning with an optional Site Tour from 9:30am – 11:30am; followed by Pizza Lunch at Voyagaire at noon. The workshop would be at Voyagaire from 1pm to 4pm. All are welcome. Registration of your attendance is requested by 10/23/18. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 218/993-2266. Workshop Expense: A motion was made by Butch, supported by Jerry, to pay for the breakfast and dinner for the three architects attending and the pizza lunch for the community. Butch and Jerry voted in favor, Jim abstained and the motion carried.
- Grounds Cleanup and Docks: There was no report.
- CIC Covenants/Unit 13: There was no report.
.ATV Use: Bruce Beste was not present to report. Traci reported that the ATVAM meeting is planned for September 22nd, 2019 at Crane Lake. There will be a planning meeting on October 23rd. The regular monthly meeting will be at Melgeorge’s tomorrow.
Trails Report: There was no report.
Town of Crane Lake Meeting Minutes – October 9, 2018
Land Use Project: Because the community is so involved in developing the Visitor Center/Campground area, the development of the Land Exchange area will be addressed later on.
IRRRB Voyageur Statue Work: There was no report.
Premier Pyrotechnics – Pay Ahead: A motion was made by Jim, supported by Butch, to pay for the 2019 fireworks display next month to secure 20% extra product. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
Other New Business: There was none.
Comments from Officers: There were none
Public Comment: There was none.
Next Meeting: Board of Canvass Meeting – 11/13/18, 5:30PM – Fellowship Hall
Board of Supervisors’ Meeting following
There being no further business, the meeting was adjourned at 8:05PM.
Jo Ann Pohlman, Clerk Jerry Pohlman, Chairman
This draft of the Crane Lake Township minutes has been posted solely for preliminary informational purposes. Minutes are unofficial and subject to change until they have been approved by the Crane Lake Board of Supervisors.